Skip to main content

Why I Eat Healthily Plus an Awesome Mexican-style Meal!

I really try not to be too very in-your-face about healthy eating, but it is such a part of who I am and what I believe in, that inevitably it comes out in conversations and is evident in things I share on social media. Although Jackie is generally a good sport and has tried a lot of foods he otherwise would not have, my healthy eating habits are generally met with a good bit of teasing from most members of my family. I, however, am simply not dabbler. If I do anything, I am ALL IN. And food is an area that I have dove head first into. 

There is a quote that I am finding a new depth of truth in lately. Maybe you've heard it. Ann Wigmore said, "The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison." You would be absolutely AMAZED to learn the power of food over your life.

Do you know someone with cancer? I'd be willing to bet we all do. Statistics show that if cancer or diabetes or some other life-altering illness hasn't touched you or your family, you might be a unicorn. (Maybe I made that one up.) Why do you think Americans especially are absolutely eat up with illness? I venture to say that this phenomenon is the result of our diet! 

Okay, so someone says the word "diet" and everyone thinks depravation. Starvation. Rabbit food. A diet is something you do to lose weight. But no, I'm talking the REAL definition of the word diet: "the foods eaten." That's all. The stuff you eat. What are you putting in your body and why? Do you seek to simply satiate the palate whenever your stomach rumbles? Just kill hunger? I think that's what most people do. Hey, I'm hungry. What would taste good right now? The end. But we feel hunger for a reason. Our bodies need something from us and like most things, there is a right and a wrong way to go about meeting that need. Will you give your body good fuels or will you fill up on anything and everything lustfully? Because I believe (just like everything else in the world) we have been deceived into accepting a low-quality, fake substitute for something God originally intended to be pure and wonderful and for our good. 

Years ago, when we still lived in New Orleans I would occasionally drive myself and my children back up to Alabama to see family. Once, a friend happened to be up before we left early in the morning and asked to pray with us before we left. He asked that God watch over us and allow us to arrive safely there. His prayer resonated with me for some reason the entire way I drove and each time I was tempted to exceed the speed limit (because it's a looooong drive with a bunch of littles), I thought, "How can I ask God for safety traveling and then break the law?" I knew I couldn't ask for one thing and then allow my actions to not support that thing I had asked for.  This relationship also applies to diet. I have been faced with health issues over the last few years, some of which have left me in a place of desperation before God begging for health. He has been merciful to me but I have also realized, I can't ask God for health and then knowingly put things in or on my body that are opposed to health! 

Maybe you think I'm being extreme but everything you take in WILL have an affect on your body. Period. 

I want everyone to feel free to eat whatever you choose. But I also want everyone to make informed decisions. Know what's in your food and what it can do either FOR or TO you. 

I thought I would share a delicious example with you guys! We recently had this recipe for supper and it was DELICIOUS. I'm going to give you the recipe to try for yourself then tell you about the health benefits of these particular ingredients.



I found the original recipe on Pinterest. It is from the blog ourlifetastesgood.blogspot.com. I altered it slightly. 

The ingredients you will need are:
1 pound ground chuck
1/2 c diced onion
1/2 TBSP minced garlic
16 oz can refried beans
Tortillas (I use Ole brand Xtreme Wellness because they are whole wheat + flax)
Salsa (I like the organic Aldi brand)
Mexican Cheese blend (it really is better not to use pre-shredded cheese if you're all in)
Fresh tomato, diced
Green onions, chopped
Jalapeños 
Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Sour Cream
Guacamole or Avocado

You also need taco seasoning. Here's how I make mine:
1 TBSP chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt

Here's how to put your pie together:

1. Preheat your oven to 375. Spray a 9 in pie plate with cooking spray (or lightly grease with olive oil). 
2. Heat a skillet. Brown your meat and onions. If you're feeling super adventurous, you could use the Trim Healthy Mama hack and chop mushrooms with a food processor and mix with your meat. You (or your kids!) cannot taste them and they really boost the health quality of your meal! Once browned, season your meat with your taco seasoning mixture. Add the minced garlic as well.
3. Place one tortilla in your pie plate. Top with a layer of refried beans. Spoon a layer of meat on top. Sprinkle a light layer of cheese on top of the meat. Repeat the layers ending with a tortilla on top.
4. Bake 10-15 minutes. 
5. Remove your pie from the oven and spread a layer of salsa on top. Sprinkle with cheese then spread fresh tomatoes over the cheese. Top with green onions and jalapeños (I'm going to add black olives at this point next time, too.) 
6. Bake 5 minutes or until your cheese melts.
7. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and avocado or guacamole.

Low Carb, High Nutrient Tortillas!
                                        

I doubled this recipe because I have, like, a million kids to feed and also because the leftovers refrigerate and reheat well. I served this pie with cilantro lime rice. I got this recipe from carlsbadcravings.com.

For Cilantro Lime Rice with Black Beans, you need:
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 c chopped red onion
1-2 jalapeños
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 c brown rice
3 c chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can black beans
3 TBSP mild green chiles 
salt, pepper
cilantro
butter
lime

Here's the how-to:
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapeños, sauté. 
2. Add garlic and cumin, sauté. Add rice, sauté. Add beans, green chiles, and broth. Bring to a boil. 
3. Reduce to low heat. Simmer, covered, until your rice is tender. Stirring half way. 
4. Stir in butter to melt. Juice your lime into the rice mixture and add cilantro. 


Green is so good for you!

One with tomatoes and one without for my picky eater--Jackie!

Like your favorite Mexican restaurant at home!


We choose to eat blue corn chips because they are organic, GMO free and low glycemic.

Alright, so want to know why all this is healthy? Here's what just a few of the ingredients have to offer.

  • Cilantro
    • Rids your body of heavy metals (Did you even know those were in there?!)
    • Protects against oxidative stress (That's an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in your body. When there's an imbalance bad stuff happens: diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and cancer.) 
    • Lowers anxiety and can improve sleep.
    • Lowers blood sugar levels.
    • Protects against heart disease.
    • Can preven UTI's.
    • Protects against colon cancer.
  • Tomatoes
    • Contain Vitamin C which boosts your immune system.
    • Contain beta-carotene which helps your skin.
    • Helps lower blood pressure and lowers your risk for heart disease!
    • Contain Vitamin K and Calcium which make for strong bones, lowering your risk for osteoporosis.
    • Contain lycopene which fights cancer!
    • Contain chromium which regulates blood sugar.
    • Contain Vitamin A which helps with vision (especially night vision) and also helps hair be strong and shiny.
  • Black Beans:
    • Are good for your heart. No really. They contain flavonoids and are high in fiber!
    • Are high in fiber so they keep your digestive tract clear of toxic build up and prevent colon cancer. Black beans contain THE highest bean source of antioxidants!
    • Boost energy (carbs!)
    • Stabilize blood sugar through the regulation of the release of insulin.
    • Help with weight loss because of their fiber content. You feel fuller for longer and receive time-released energy. 
    • Are an anti-inflammatory, high-nutrient food. They contain folate, manganese, magnesium, thiamine, iron, copper, niacin, Vitamin A, potassium, zinc, Vitamin B6, and calcium. Because of that they can help with things like fibromyalgia, leaky gut, and metabolic syndromes. 
    • Work with brown rice to form a "complete protein." This means ALL the essential amino acids are present--your body can't make that on it's own. 
  • Brown Rice:
    • Supports heart health because it contains magnesium and selenium.
    • Decreases cholesterol levels. 
    • Lowers the glycemic index of foods helping with diabetes risks.
    • Contains protein, fiber, and iron.
    • Contains manganese which helps with nutrient absorption, provides digestive enzymes, helps with bone development and blood clotting factors, supports a healthy immune system, and supports blood sugar regulation
  • Lime:
    • Alkalinizes. That helps reduce inflammation which is one of the biggest problems we face!
    • Supports heart health, eye health, and weight loss.
    • Promotes weight loss.
    • Regulates sugar absorption.
    • Contains fiber, vitamin c, vitamin B6, thiamin, calcium, protein, folate, and potassium.
  • Avocado:
    • Gives you healthy skin.
    • Gives you healthy blood pressure.
    • Promotes heart health.
    • Decreases risk of depression.
    • Treats arthritis.
    • Controls acne.
    • Decreases bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol.
    • Protects against pancreatic, colon, cervical, and stomach cancers.
    • Normalizes blood sugar levels.
Honestly, I could go on and on. But seriously, is anyone still reading this? If you are, give yourself a cookie--you deserve it! Just kidding, they're bad for you.   😝

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light