Skip to main content

24 Days of Thankfulness: Day 8

The first time we visited campus for preview weekend we toured the apartment building where we would be living. I could have cried (I might have, can't remember). It simply was not what I was expecting. It was small and felt cramped and I couldn't imagine it being home. That first visit I had my eye on a different building. One setting on the street corner near the middle of campus with a cute little playground out back. Benches flanked the playground and moms sat talking watching their children play. I even took a picture of it!

That building is now my building. When God blessed us with Ryland, He also blessed us with the opportunity to move to a bigger apartment. We have absolutely loved living here. Here we have the room for a school room, somewhere to store the dishwasher, a private balcony where I can grow my plants, and double the living space of our old apartment. We also have a playground right outside our door and now I'm one of those moms hanging out on the bench. I'm very thankful for that playground!

Of course my children love going out to the playground to climb and slide and run and get dirty and I love the fact that they can wear themselves out on it but I think I'm most thankful for the fellowship I've found out there. I'm not the *most* outgoing person in the world (an understatement if there ever was one) and if it were up to me I probably wouldn't get out much but because my children beg and beg to go outside to the playground, I've been forced to suck it up and talk to people I don't know. Being on a seminary campus has made it even easier because you get to use the same "interview questions" each time you meet someone new: "So, where are you from? How old are your kids?" and so on and so forth. If there's any chemistry there between you and that person then the conversation evolves, if not it's not so awkward. = )

Thankfully, I've gotten to meet and know a lot of moms and have gotten past the "interview" stage. Some of us have moved into the stage where we're completely comfortable talking about everything from our kids' poop to day-to-day frustrations to life-altering revelations. Sometimes we talk about what we're making for dinner; sometimes we talk about our husbands (shhh! don't tell them!); sometimes we talk about fears and disappointments; sometimes we rejoice with each other over successes like potty training and homeschooling; sometimes we just vent. These things--they are at the heart of a woman, and I'm so thankful we've found a place that feels safe to open up our hearts. And that is called sisterhood. 

Not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Hebrews 10:25


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but ...

I Turned Down a Large Sum of Money.

In Alaska there are lots of homeschooling options. The state has a statute which basically says that if you are a child’s parent or guardian you can educate them. The end. No other requirements, no tests, no reporting. You are their mama and in control (as it should be!) Along with having a private tutor or being a part of a religious private school, one option is to homeschool as a part of the public school system.  Because Alaska is so large and areas can be so remote, homeschooling used to be quite the neccessity. It meant schooling out of a box—correspondence school. Now things have changed and homeschoolers have an entire plethora of options. Here you can join a group (sort of extension of the public schools) and if you meet the requirements, you get money to support your students. A LOT of money. Around $2,000 a child.  I have only homeschooled in Louisiana and Alabama both of which give parents a good bit of freedom. I was nervous about joining a group in which I had to...

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have...