Skip to main content

26 Weeks, Tactfulness, and Other Updates

On Wednesday of this week, I was officially 26 weeks pregnant with our twins! I still feel comfortably far away from D-day (delivery day, that is) and although my doctor recommended that I pre-register at the hospital at 24 weeks, I'm putting that off. I just don't really want to think about the hospital yet! No offense to any people in the medical profession, but I hate it. I guess I'm glad it's there to serve it's purpose, of course, but I do not want to be the one in need. Alas, Jackie has said no to homebirth. The guy won't even cut the umbilical cord at the hospital so I don't think he could handle me popping out a couple of babies on the couch or something, ha ha.

So, the #1 question from people who don't know me is, "Wow, so, you're about ready to pop, huh?" The greeter at Walmart, the manager at Popeyes, etc. Seriously, when the manager at Popeyes asked me that a couple of days ago and I explained things to her, I thought her eyes were going to bug out of her head as she stared at my stomach! Really, people? Whatever happened to tact? Yes, yes, I know it's an unusual situation in today's society to be expecting your 5th and 6th babies but it seems I've heard lots of stories lately about people and their inability to put forth appropriate statements. From outright rude cracks about one's sexuality to blatantly ignorant comments about multiracial families, I wonder, shouldn't we be teaching this in school or something? Trust me people 98% of y'all aren't going to need to know what a gerund is but you do need to know how to talk to people without being offensive! So here's a little lesson in how to figure out what's going on with that gigantically huge pregnant lady.

Tactful person: "What lovely children you have and I see that you are being blessed again! When is your due date?"
Gigantically huge pregnant lady: "Thank you! I'm due April 3."
Tactful person whose eyes ARE NOT bugging out: "Oh, a spring baby. That will be nice. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"
Gigantically huge pregnant lady: "Well, actually, we're expecting twins! They are both girls."
The end. Please feel free to ask if you need any other guides to dealing with carrying on a decent conversation. ; )

Moving on, the #1 question from people who do know me is, "How are you feeling?" I am feeling great! I really don't think pregnancy has slowed me down any thus far. Okay, maybe I waddle up the stairs a little slower but I still enjoy long, full days of school and housework. I'm still picking up my (other) babies and doing all of the other usual stuff I've always done. Of course I am tired and sometimes achy at the end of the day but never overly so.

The only time I'm truly uncomfortable is when I'm in bed at night. I've been questioning whether I am even meant to be in a horizontal position or not. I absolutely cannot lay on my back. It feels like the babies are each trying to slide off different sides of me or something. So I lay on my left side until that arm goes to sleep then I put a hand under my belly and lift it up to turn over. Seriously, it needs to be lifted. I really cannot imagine what it must be like for the ladies who carry triplets or more. A woman's body is an amazing thing and I remember that each and every time I look at my flat little belly button. I don't believe I've gained a lot of weight elsewhere. In fact, I can still see ribs over my basketball belly which protrudes from clearly visible hip bones. It's kind of funny!

I still have a sweet tooth and can make a box of chocolate covered cherries disappear in no time but am trying hard to eat well and substitute (non-chocolate dipped) fruit for cookies and cakes. I'm drinking lots and lots of water and taking my vitamin supplements. I believe that staying active and eating well is keeping me healthy and pre-eclampsia free. I'm hoping and praying that I will not suffer from it this pregnancy but will be able to carry the babies until they decide to come out naturally. I'm also trying to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for the fact that that may not happen. There could very well be a c-section in my future, who knows? Only the Lord and I know that I can trust Him. Still, I pour out the desires of my heart before Him and know that He hears my petitions!

So here's my 26 week shot and in the words of a meme I saw earlier this week, "The word you are looking for is radiant." = P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try