Skip to main content

We Went Out Walking (Slightly Before Midnight)

At dinner tonight Jathan asked no fewer than 100 times if we could take a walk. So as soon as we finished up, I buckled Piper into the stroller and we set off, leaving Ryland behind getting a bath from Daddy. (Keeleigh had gone to church with a friend.) It was dark already and Jathan loved it. "Which way do you want to go?" I asked him.

"That way!" he decided.

We walked down the street towards the back of campus. All of a sudden he did something new..."Look at me, Mama, I'm a horse!" Jathan said, galloping. It was so cute! I wasn't sure if they'd taught him that at PE or if he'd just picked it up on his own but for some reason at that moment, I was one proud mommy as if calculus comes right after acquiring the ability to gallop or something. = )

We meandered slowly, as four-year old's often do, taking note of the stars. "How many stars do you think are out in space, Jathan?"

"I don't know. How many SPACESHIPS do you think are out there?" 'Cause, you know, thinking about aliens is so much cooler than regular ole' stars.

And of course he had to stop and examine each and every tree for "treasures." He found two good pine cones, one baby and one mama (we learned how to ID the "male" and "female" cones last year). He found some cool mushrooms growing around a tree. One tree that we stopped at had a ton of sea shells around it.

We waved at friends and random joggers. We imagined what the train whistle was saying--"Looooook out! Coooooming throoooooough!"

When we got to the corner where we'd ordinarily turn to go back home, Jathan said, "Let's go that way," pointing straight ahead. So we did. In that direction were cypress nuts and acorns and then, discovery of all discoveries--a lizard. It was tiny and brown and I don't even know how he spotted it but he really wanted to catch it and take it home. "I don't have a pet, Mama!" So he made a grab for it and got it. Well, he got it's tail anyway. The rest of the lizard ran away leaving the tiny little tail still wriggling in between his fingers! Then we talked about why it wouldn't be a great idea to take the tail home (because body parts tend to stink after a while) which reinforced what we'd been studying about our senses (that God gave us a sense of smell in part to warn us of potential danger--detached body parts stink!).

Then we rounded the corner and headed down the sidewalk to home. I almost didn't want to go because I was having such a good time and Piper had drifted off to dreamland in the stroller. What's better than a stroll under the stars--a gentle breeze blowing--with a sweetly curious little boy? I love him so much that sometimes I have to just stop and blink back the tears. I'm so grateful for the precious time I have with him. He helps me walk a little slower, look in places I'd never think to look, and smile deep down in my soul. Thank You, God, for giving me one of the best titles a woman could hope to get: Mama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light