Skip to main content

Christmas in the Atrium

Today the youth choir performed during chapel time. I was much more excited about this performance that Tuesday night's because it would not be terribly obvious if the little kids weren't perfectly quiet (because they couldn't be quiet to save their lives). It was also nice because we got there early enough to grab the comfy chairs near friends with floor space to let the boys play.



I think Jackie might have enjoyed the comfy chair a little too much. = )



The boys equally enjoyed the floor space to play.





But they were relatively quiet for a good long while. Then Ryland got interested in moving the metal chairs. Then he wandered up to the front row of empty chairs which wasn't so bad because it was time for Keeleigh's choir to perform and the empty chairs offered a good view for pictures.





All of the choirs and groups performed beautifully. My favorite was, of course, the youth choir and the ladies choir (Deo Gracias...love). It was great getting to hear them and to hear the lessons presented in a relaxed atmosphere. Whenever Jathan was near me, I'd lean down and whisper my translation of the Scripture to him. At one point during Away in a Manger I heard one of the little girls near us turn suddenly and excitedly to her mother when the word "manger" cut through her play. "Manger! Just like Baby Jesus!" she said obviously thinking, "WHAT A COINCIDENCE!" So cute. Yes, things were going swimmingly.

But then Ryland got the hankering to take his shirt off.



I talked him out of it by pointing out the fact that everyone else had their shirts on (although I don't necessarily want him to simply follow the crowd) and that it might be chilly without a shirt since we enjoyed a rather cool day in New Orleans today. But then he grabbed the program sitting on that chair next to him. It belonged to someone else so I tried to convince him to put it back. No go. "RETREAT, RETREAT!" my mommy senses shouted so I grabbed him up kicking and screaming and headed back to the comfy chairs and hopefully out of everyone's earshot. Then I distracted him by showing him how to make pictures. "Press this button," I told him. So he did. A lot. = )

Sometimes with his mama's hand to steady the camera...



Sometimes not...



Yes, sir, Ryland definitely keeps things interesting!



Then finally, finally, finally it was over and thanks to the president (of the seminary not the U.S., ha ha) everyone got free drinks from the cafe. Black and Golds, yum!

And as we were leaving that lady in the pink shirt in the picture where Ryland is trying to remove his shirt smiled at the boys and said, "You guys were so good!" I smiled back at her and thought to myself, "I love it when people lie pretty lies to me." Hee hee.

So our morning was filled with music and then our afternoon was filled with shopping! Keeleigh has at least three Christmas parties she's been invited to and we hit Big Lots for some awesome yet frugal gifts. We got home just in time to spend a few chilly minutes on the playground. Have I mentioned that I love Christmas? It's definitely the most wonderful time of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try