Skip to main content

2 Months!

Friday marked 2 months for the twins! The last month has been such a special time because the girls have grown so much and there have been so many firsts. The best "first" has been their first social smiles. I noted Brooklyn's in my nursing log on April 9th. Since that morning she's been happily grinning at us each and every morning. It's no wonder because she sleeps SO WELL. Most nights she sleeps 5 hours; one night this week she slept 6 and a half. This is just unheard of in the Combs household! She has also gained great head and neck control. She has been called the "Traci baby" since she was born but I didn't think she really looked much like me until this week. A friend had her on her lap; she sat there looking around wide eyed and it was like looking at one of my baby pictures! I also see a lot of my dad in her. She definitely takes after the Ladd side of the family!


Braelyn has definitely been stingier with her smiles. She has suffered through gas, fussiness, and sleeplessness this month. She also developed some unusual green bowel movements. After consulting Dr. Google, I wondered if it had anything to do with my plentiful supply of milk and forceful letdown or if perhaps, because it wasn't affecting her sister in the same way, she had a dairy sensitivity. I *tried* to avoid dairy but it proved to be very difficult, and in actuality I don't eat that much straight up dairy anyway. To deal with the oversupply of foremilk, I have begun pumping in the mornings and when possible in the afternoons to help more completely empty my breasts of milk. I've also been "block feeding" as best I can with twins which has amounted to simply leaving one baby on one breast for at least half the day and sometimes all day (when I forget to switch!). Within a week of doing these things, Braelyn had two normal bowel movements which hadn't happened in weeks. She has slept well the last two nights and even rested peacefully for five hours last night! We've also been blessed with more smiles lately. I'm so relieved to have eased her discomfort without having to give up my chocolate, ha ha!

Braelyn is still without a doubt the "Jackie baby." Its so cute to see her daddy holding her and see how alike they look! I even though I saw a glimmer of red in that soft fuzz on her head! Might I have finally gotten my long desired redheaded baby?


The girls had their 2 month check up today. I was eager to see what they weigh since Braelyn was the smaller baby but has really seemed to chunk up over the last month. Today Brooklyn weighed 9 pounds and was 21 1/2 inches long (birth weight was 5 pounds 14 ounces, one month was 7 pounds 6 ounces), and Braelyn was 9 pounds 10 ounces and 21 1/4 inches long (birth weight was 5 pound 9 ounces, one month was 7 pounds 4 ounces). My suspicion was confirmed--Braelyn is no longer the little sister! 

 

They are already filling up their laundry basket! Braelyn politely requested this be the last month I attempt to squish them both into it.


And just so she won't feel left out, here's a rare crying picture of Brooklyn:


It's been a great month and, as always, flew by! I look at the other children, Piper especially, and know the twins will be grown in no time at all. I'm treasuring this time as best I can. I hold them close and breathe them in. I caress their soft, new baby skin and try so hard to remember having these moments with the other children. Sadly I know that the memories fade as the babies grow! Piper will be celebrating her second birthday next month; she's talking up a storm now that her paci is gone. Ryland is inching closer and closer to being four years old--FOUR! He does crazy things like count and color and write and play Power Rangers when he's supposed to still be my baby. Jathan has but three more months left as a five year old. He's reading and telling time and inquiring about getting married (seems a certain little girl downstairs told him he HAS to get married someday and he doesn't want to). And Keeleigh? Don't even get me started there! She is all of a sudden a young lady who reminds me all too much of myself at that age only much more lovely in every way. She seems to enjoy a confidence I did not know and when she laughs, when she throws her head back and sunshine erupts from her soul, its so awesome. Did you know she's been invited to a dance? I can't wait to see her all dressed up and excited waiting for her beau. Oh, Brooklyn and Braelyn this will be you in the blink of an eye. What magic to get to witness it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Combs Christmas Tour

Ryland says, "Welcome to our home!" Would you like to see all of our Christmas decorations? Check out our door decoration. We saw something like it at Trees and Trends and upon checking the price tag thought, "I could totally do that." = ) We think it looks great beside our sled, you know, just in case of snow! C'mon inside. Next to our door we plugged in a cute little tree that we got on our Thanksgiving trip to Alabama. It used to sit on our porch when we lived there. Now it hangs out next to our baker's rack where we have our one and only Nativity (I laughed to myself when Dr. Jackson said at church this Sunday that everyone has them all over the house.) We have more of a snowman collection around here. If you look in our kitchen you might notice our snowman rug. After you catch a load of our new Frosty fridge, that is! (Thank goodness for Pinterest!) There are reindeer prancing on our coffee table. Just past the co

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light