Skip to main content

Dear Ryland,

Today has been wonderful. I may be jumping the gun a little bit saying that since it's only 3 p.m. especially given the fact that we crawled out of bed at 10 a.m. but those few hours seem to have marked a change or at least my recognition of that change whenever it happened. Or, heck, maybe it's just a good day. See, things between you and I haven't always been everything they should be which saddens me because I wanted you in my life so very much. I prayed and prayed to God that He would put you in my life and He did so what right do I have to complain about anything, huh? But I do complain. I complained and said rude things to you both in my head and aloud when you were tiny and wouldn't sleep and your dad and I were so, so tired. I complained and screamed and cried when you threw toilet water all over the place and most of those times when you dumped out your entire plate of food in the floor. And you know what? I wasn't totally, really sorry every one of those times I comforted you when you got hurt doing something stupid. Some of those times I was patting your back and rolling my eyes. I'm pretty sure that you haven't stopped moving since the moment of your conception and you can climb like nobody's business. You are the sole reason I have three colors of Popsicle stains on our living room rug and why I have to wipe chocolate pudding off the Wii remote. It drives me completely bonkers when you poke your little sister in the eye which is pretty much every single day and I'm royally displeased each time you crawl up on the bed and dump all the laundry I've just folded over the side. And what sort of cruel joke was it to wait 17 months before you said, "Mama," and then started saying it multiple times a minute every moment that you're awake and that one time when you were sleeping? Most days I feel like I'm running in circles chasing you.


I think that may be why God gave me your little sister before your toddlerhood descended on us; He knew that He would have a hard time convincing me I could handle another child on top of you.



But today, ah, today you woke up early and I convinced you to crawl back into bed with me. We listened to the thunder roll and the rain pelt the window and I watched your big blue eyes close. Then you smiled--almost laughed!--in your sleep! I'm so glad that my insane mothering hasn't hindered you from sweet dreams.


Jathan came and woke us up after a good little nap. He had two cars in his hand and you really wanted one of them. I told you to go get you a car from your room and you came back with one, green just like the two that Jathan had. Then you went and got another green one so that you would have two just like Jathan! "What a smart boy," I thought. Later I was curled up reading leisurely (it's summer and the rain said it was okay) and I noticed that you were tugging on a pillow just like the one I was propped up on. "Do you want a pillow?" I asked. You nodded you replied with a hearty, enthusiastic nod. I propped your pillow up right beside mine then you disappeared for a moment returning with a little book of your own. How stinkin' cute is that?! Speaking of cute, I also wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your help with the laundry today. You carried piece by piece (one sock at a time) from the dryer to the bed smiling all the way. I didn't even mind when you wiped your runny nose on that one pair of pants.


And, on two separate occasions today, I've told you, "No, no, Ryland." And guess what? You listened and obeyed!


I'm not sure if this is all really happening or if I've stumbled down the rabbit hole into the Twilight Zone but today has been good. So good that I really was sad with you when you tripped and dropped your Popsicle on the rug. I think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm trying to grow up and get over myself and also something to do with the fact that you are growing up, too, barreling straight towards 2 years old with reckless abandon. Whatever it is I wanted to take special note and let you know that I love you even if tomorrow sucks.

All my heart,

Mama

Comments

  1. you've said it perfectly! i have so many of those w/ Alister but he's startimg to listen sone, obey some,clean up some and help some> he's not quite as aggressive- it's getting better w? time. you are so right about how some days we don't have much sympathy but we do love them so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try