Skip to main content

Too Many Kids?

I joke with my mom that she has asked me if I'm pregnant every month since I was 15. Five times I've said yes. 

A couple of weeks ago my mom shared her heart with me. "I hope you don't have any more," she told me. She explained that she wanted me to have a life of my own, things of my own. "It's a big sacrifice being a mother," she remarked. 

My mom is seeing me be a mom. Seeing me struggle. Seeing me feel overwhelmed at times. Seeing me do without. And I know that's hard for a mom to see, because as parents I think we all want our children to have nice things, good experiences, and a happy life. It's pretty common for parents to want "better" for their kids than they had. For many, "better" means bigger houses, shinier cars, more stuff. If you haven't guessed by now, it's hard to keep up with the Jones with a large family.

There are a number of reasons I've heard as to why people shouldn't have "too many kids" but many of them go back to finances. They simply cost too much. (Believe me, I know. We have no money!) Some people have also said they just don't have the patience. Even my mom pointed out that I get frustrated and ill because there are "so many of them."    

To be honest with you thinking about it all can get discouraging. But it's during times of discouragement that I do best to take refuge in the Lord.  Sometimes it's best to turn a deaf ear to the world and tune in to what God has to say. 

The world says, "Children are a burden! They're hard work and cost so much." 

God says, "Children are a blessing. A reward. A heritage!" (Psalm 127:3-5) 

The world says, "Accumlate as much as you can. Not only do you NEED a new car, a big house, expensive clothes, and vacations, you DESERVE it!" 

God says, "Value what is eternal. This life is just a tiny stop on the journey." (1 John 2:17) 

As I remind the kids when they are fighting over toys, people are more important than things. A while back we noticed that someone had misspelled Ryland's name ON THE SIDE OF OUR VAN (hint: It was Ryland.) You know, the van where countless drinks have been spilled, kids have thrown up on the seats, and there's enough crumbs hidden to sustain our entire family should we be trapped in a Georgia snow storm.  But you know what? Even if I managed to keep our van nice and clean for 100 years, some day it will be garbage. Every single thing we own will! Don't waste your time and money loving garbage. 

The world says, "It's hard having a bunch of kids. They're loud and annoying and want to eat, like, every single day! Keep calm by removing potential stressors from your life!"   

God says, "Lay down your life for others. Be a living sacrifice." (Romans 12:1, John 15:13) 

"But you're just not a patient person!" the world reminds you. 

God says, "Be kind! Be patient! These are attributes Christians have because this is how I am!" He is the vine and we are the branches, remember? 

God doesn't give us suggestions. He gives us commands. He expects us to be patient and kind and slow to anger. But don't worry, we don't have to do it by ourselves! One of my favorite verses is posted on our fridge so I can read it every single day: "Surely God is my help, The Lord is the one who sustains me. (See also Philippians 4:13, Psalm 46:1 and a bazillion others) 

What an encouragement to know that there's more to life than just what you can grab as you pass through! There's more to you than what you wear or where you live or what you drive. You are eternal and important to the Creator of the universe! You can make a difference not only in other peoples' lives but their ETERNITIES by valuing them. The hardships you go through right now are worth it. They are not meaningless but have massive potential. 

And as a side note I'd like to mention something the Lord used to encourage me one day. We Christians are supposed to be fishers of men--making disciples! It's a lot easier to fish for men when you have a big aquarium at home! ; )

This post isn't really about children. It's about taking God at His Word. He has given us the answers; we don't have to look to the world or try to figure them out on our own. We can have so much peace and joy if we look at things from God's point of view instead. Wherever you are in life, whatever that means for you, try it!

Comments

  1. I love this post! It strikes a chord with me on so many levels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela. Glad you liked it. It came from my heart.

      Delete
  2. Hi Traci! Great piece. Beautiful reminders.
    So... I've just come across you, and such a funny coincidence! So, I saw friends hash tagging their children's first and middle names and realised I have never done that to my 5 (yes, I have 5 also haha! Their upcoming birthdays they'll be 10, 8, 6, 4 and baby will be 14 months on Monday). Anyway, it's always interesting seeing who else out there in the world has the same 2 names as your children, and I thought for my baby, that "Surely! No one would!" Haha, was I wrong!!! Turns out we both have little miss Piper Evangeline! How funny haha! Anyway, I won't go dominate that hashtag now haha ;-) And so lovely to meet another Christian Mama who has 5 and a PE also - and a fellow blogger!! (Although, I've just started steadfastinchaos.wordpress.com ;-) God bless!! Meeya xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meeya! Nice to meet you. How cool that we each have little Piper Evangeline's!

    Obviously I need to update my blog because I'm now expecting our seventh child! I have a 16 yo dd, an 8 year old ds, a 6 year old ds, a 4 1/2 dd, and twin girls who are about to be three plus a little boy due in June.

    I will check out your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Combs Christmas Tour

Ryland says, "Welcome to our home!" Would you like to see all of our Christmas decorations? Check out our door decoration. We saw something like it at Trees and Trends and upon checking the price tag thought, "I could totally do that." = ) We think it looks great beside our sled, you know, just in case of snow! C'mon inside. Next to our door we plugged in a cute little tree that we got on our Thanksgiving trip to Alabama. It used to sit on our porch when we lived there. Now it hangs out next to our baker's rack where we have our one and only Nativity (I laughed to myself when Dr. Jackson said at church this Sunday that everyone has them all over the house.) We have more of a snowman collection around here. If you look in our kitchen you might notice our snowman rug. After you catch a load of our new Frosty fridge, that is! (Thank goodness for Pinterest!) There are reindeer prancing on our coffee table. Just past the co

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light