Friday, February 4, 2011

Good Deal!

So last night our local "Coupon Queens" as they've been dubbed shared some tips at the homeschool meeting that left me in awe. I go to the grocery store and forget items ON MY LIST and these gals are practically doing rocket science in the check out lane (and online) with little ones in tow!

I may never getting my couponing tiara but I did manage to score a sweet deal earlier this week at The Salvation Army Family Store (on Claiborne) that I was excited about. See I've been doing "window" shopping for a cute new diaper bag and posting my findings on Facebook. I really had no idea there were so many diaper bag choices and I certainly had no clue they could cost so much! Unfortunately I also apparently have good taste because I kept finding cuter and cuter
bags and the cost kept going up and up. I stopped looking when some of the bags said $300 on the tag. Then I get a text from a friend telling me about some super cheap tags-still-on diaper bags at the Salvation Army.

Though flea market style deals are in my blood, we had only recently visited a Goodwill Store for the first time so I'm just getting getting my feet wet thrift shopping. Luckily I was alone this day (the kids were at home with Jackie) so I was able to peruse a little more than usual. I thought this store was GREAT and kept sending picture texts to Jackie of all the things I wanted to buy, ha ha! I ended up walking out of the store with just three things, though:

1. The diaper bag I'd come in hoping to find!


It's a Kalencom Silver Spoon Bag which is listed on Amazon.com for around $80 but I bought for $9.99!

2. A surprise find...A Longaberger basket! I've collected these for several years and they aren't known for having a small price tag. I was so excited to spot one on a back table with a big bunch of dilapidated faux flowers in it. I was even more excited when I turned it over and it had a $1.99 price tag on it!

Doesn't it look lovely on my baker's rack (minus the faded faux flowers!)?

3. A cute little glass container for Keeleigh to use as her first terrarium. Starting a terrarium is one of her school projects and though we have an aquarium waiting to be turned into a miniature jungle, I thought some of the bottle terrariums I've seen online would be fun to attempt as well. When I saw this little jar with a cork, I knew it'd be perfect.


When I got to the register, the cashier told me the diaper bag wasn't on sale and asked if I still wanted it. "It's $9.99?" I asked. It was. But it turned out the other two items were on sale for 50% off so my grand total was just over $12 and I'd gotten the Longaberger basket which is going for $50-$125 on Ebay for $1. Woo hoo!

Needless to say I've been bitten by the good deal bug, want to try my hand at couponing, and will be going back to the Salvation Army store!

3 comments:

  1. so cute!! im really glad you were able to find a bag that you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which Salvation Army was it? I might go buy stuff just to sell on Ebay!!!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, Brooke! It was the one on Claiborne.

    ReplyDelete