Skip to main content

A Letter to Ryland on His 2nd Birthday

Dear Ryland,

Happy birthday! I hope you had a great day. I sure did enjoy celebrating it with you. It's hard to believe that two whole years have passed. In fact I looked down at my stomach today and remembered a special moment you and I had together a couple of years ago...



I snapped this one last photo of you in my tummy and tried hard to remember everything about the moment...the pure magic of feeling your little self move inside of me already full of spunk. I tried to picture what you would look like when you emerged, what you would look like as a boy. I even tried to imagine you as the wonderful man I know you're on you're way to becoming.

And today. I had a different sort of bracelet on my arm but it was for you, too. (And, hey, thank goodness I got a new outfit, huh?)



But it made me think back to your first breath when the doctor held you up for me to see.



And then when she placed you on my chest...



You were perfect and I loved you. I thanked God for you, for answering my prayer and sending you to be mine for a little while. I know it won't be long that you won't even fit in my arms because you're already so big! Today you wore a pull-up out and are doing such a great job potty training. Today you asked for Sprite at the restaurant and told the waitress, "Bye, Sweetie!" when she told you. Today you wouldn't ride in the buggy at the store but said, "I wanta walk." Today when Jathan asked you what you wanted for your birthday you said, "I want Mama," and, baby, you've got me. For now and for always.



Yes, today we took you out for a fabulous New Orleans birthday lunch.



You helped me eat my gumbo. Boy, do you love shrimp!



Our waitress really took up with you. She found out it was your birthday and brought you out some delicious bread pudding and sang to you, placing a ring of beads around your neck.



After you filled up on our beloved Nawlins food, we went to one of your favorite places.



You showed off your big boy bouncing skills and ran to and fro having an absolute blast!





After a while you guys got worn out so you chose a snack at the snack bar (cookies, of course!).





And that's when I sat down on the couch beside you watching your feed your own little self (and squirt your juice box everywhere) and thought back to that time in the hospital two years ago. You know what? You turned out to be even better than I imagined.

When we got home, you opened your presents but not before a quick picture. I'm pretty sure you were getting tired of all the picture-taking by then because you get blinking and saying, "LIGHT!" = )



One of your gifts was some Thomas the Tank Engine (this is the year of the choo choo for you) dinnerware which you then ate your supper off of. (More with the flashing.)



During supper you were such a big boy that you helped feed Piper. You got her to finish her food when she was totally through with Mama feeding her although I suspect you might have helped her empty her bowl in more ways than one.



Then after supper it was cake time! Since you love Cajun treats so much we got you a king cake. You quickly set to sneaking licks of the icing.



We sang Happy Birthday (you sang along, " TO YOU!")...



And then you dug in!



When you'd had your fill of icing cake, we all gathered around the TV to watch one of your presents, Finding Nemo. You sat beside me on the couch, bottomless with sprinkles stuck all over your shirt, and I attempted to mentally freeze time again. It didn't work but I held onto it so tightly that I did manage to leave an impression of it right there on my heart.

Thank you for a wonderful day, Ryland. Thank you for an exciting two years chock full of memories. Thank you for finally saying Mama instead of Dada all the time. Thank you for challenging me to be a better person: more patient, kinder, willing to slow down and say, "Yes." (Often, yes, let's make a mess.) Thank you for being you! May I always treasure who you are and whatever that brings, messes and all.

I love you,

Mama

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

I Turned Down a Large Sum of Money.

In Alaska there are lots of homeschooling options. The state has a statute which basically says that if you are a child’s parent or guardian you can educate them. The end. No other requirements, no tests, no reporting. You are their mama and in control (as it should be!) Along with having a private tutor or being a part of a religious private school, one option is to homeschool as a part of the public school system.  Because Alaska is so large and areas can be so remote, homeschooling used to be quite the neccessity. It meant schooling out of a box—correspondence school. Now things have changed and homeschoolers have an entire plethora of options. Here you can join a group (sort of extension of the public schools) and if you meet the requirements, you get money to support your students. A LOT of money. Around $2,000 a child.  I have only homeschooled in Louisiana and Alabama both of which give parents a good bit of freedom. I was nervous about joining a group in which I had to test and