Skip to main content

The Worst Excuse Not to Home School

I met someone new last week and as we were talking I mentioned that I home school my children. As with many people, I got the response, "Oh, I could never do that!" I know that everyone does not agree that homeschooling is a viable, desirable option but no one has ever been rude to me (at least not to my face!) when I mention that's what we do. Almost always people bestow compliments on me. I try not to let this go to my head because I happen to know that I am nothing special.

Yes, I have four children and their ages sometimes make things challenging. Although I have a natural creative bent and love learning, I didn't exactly plan that I'd be homeschooling a teenager, a preschooler, a curious two-year old, and a mama-lovin' toddler. It's hard juggling geometry and diapers! I like to think of myself as an innately patient person (when it comes to dealing with people) and that helps, but that is not my secret.

Over and over I hear people say, "I could never teach my own children. I'm too <insert character flaw here>." They usually go on to explain to me something to the effect that they are impatient with their children. It's not the educating part of home schooling that frightens them; it's the idea of having to interact with their children all day long, everyday. One lady actually told me that after a time of helping her publicly-schooled daughter with homework, her child turned to her and said, "I'm glad you don't home school me." She didn't take it as an offense even though I think she should have.

It's different. You have to not only push yourself outside of your comfort zone but you have to live outside of it and that is not something you can do on your own. And that, in my humble opinion, is THE worst excuse not to home school your children if you are a Christian.

If you are a Christian, then you have the HOLY SPIRIT--God's very essence--living inside of you.  We all love Jesus and spend a lot of time talking about Him, but Jesus said that it was better for us that He went away so that this Helper could come and walk with us! Why do we live as if this is not so? As if we must do all these good things that either are expected of us or we feel compelled/called to do by our own power? Maybe it's wrong of me to do so but sometimes I doubt that people even know Jesus because they don't seem to have the Spirit working in their lives. I'm thinking of the "fruits of the Spirit" verse.

 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness,self-control; against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23


I did not love. I had not joy or peace. My patience only stretched so far. My kindness and goodness was shallow and aimed at getting the greatest return for myself. I did not understand faith. I lacked gentleness, especially in speech. And don't even get me started on self-control! This was me until I submitted to the lordship of Christ and agreed to at least listen to the counsel of the Holy Spirit. That's a hard, hard thing-- dying to self day after day (or minute by minute) but I decided to do it because I believed my God loved me and wanted what was best for me. I definitely have not arrived, but I can honestly say now that I undoubtedly know the power of the Holy Spirit in my everyday life. It's not just for preachers on Sunday. It's not just for missionaries in foreign countries. It's for you and me in every moment of every day.

I do things that most of you don't understand, things you wouldn't want to attempt. I have committed my life to bringing up four children into adults and would gladly welcome more children into our family. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes the children are trying and difficult. But you know what? The times when things go wrong are not when they are acting up--no, not even on their worst days. When things go south, you can be sure it's because I've turned away from my source of power and strength. I don't want that. I don't want to waste this precious, precious gift the Lord has given us of Himself. I want to love--really love. I want to know joy instead of chasing the ever-elusive element of happiness. I want peace deep down in my soul. I want to be patient and kind and good. I want be be found faithful. I'm tired of harsh words and tones escaping my mouth; I want to be gentle! And, perhaps above all else, I want to be able to control myself and put myself under the constant control of God because that just makes sense.

I don't think home schooling is the right avenue for everyone. Actually I'd love to convince you all to do it but I have friends who have been specifically lead of the Spirit to place their children in "regular" schools and by that I know God must not want it for each of us. But I do think our hearts should be open to it. We should pray about all the ways to educate our children and not simply take the path of least resistance. Why? Because we can trust that God knows best and that He has equipped us to handle anything. That's a scary word: anything. Those absolute words in the Bible have tripped me up before. Surely You don't mean ALL things, Lord?! I've actually considered researching whether or not there's any wiggle room in the meaning of "nothing" for some verses, ha ha! But God means what He says and when He says we can do all things through Him, we can take Him at His word. Even if that thing is home schooling!

Comments

  1. I LOVE this post! I've been a born again Christian for 22 years as of last month and I still struggle with submitting myself to God's Will daily. My intentions are almost always good but too many times my own stubborn independent streak gets in the way. After all the times I've witnessed God's power I am still in awe at how quickly and easily things can turn around when the light bulb comes on and I finally say, "OK, God, I know I can't do this on my own. Please help me...." As I've said before, at this point in my life I don't believe that homeschooling will be the right choice for me (whenever I have kids) but I greatly admire you for all you do to teach and guide your children and show them just how much you love them every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Piper's Birth Story

My entire fourth pregnancy had been different than any other. I didn't have one bit of morning sickness and my baby bump didn't "pop" for months and months. At each of my first and second trimester doctor appointments my blood pressure was absolutely perfect. While I knew that whatever would happen would happen, I held out hope that the uniqueness of this pregnancy would extend into the third trimester and birth--that I would not have pre-eclampsia for the first time and that I would have the experience of going into labor on my own. At my doctor's appointment, one day before the 37 week mark, the nurse frowned as she took my pressure. It was 140/100. She took it again and the doctor took it and then they sent me to the hospital for an evaluation which included serial blood pressure readings and various tests. All the tests came back "stone-cold normal" as my doctor put it. I did not have pre-eclampsia. But the doctor did suggest I take it easy and try

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light