Skip to main content

The Post in Which I Talk About Chick-fil-a

Chick-fil-a fans happy with the company's pro-marriage/anti-gay marriage stance are all posting all over Facebook. I'm seeing cute little memes and links to articles and status updates about eating at Chick-fil-a some more tasteful (no pun intended) than others. I started to post and say that I would eat at Chick-fil-a even if it were run by gay people. Because they have good food. And it's a restaurant. Where you eat food. (And also they gave me a bunch of free food!) I don't really care what's happening behind the scenes as long as everyone is washing their hands afterwards. = P

How much do our beliefs and values affect where we spend our money? My family has been boycotting Kraft, Pepsi, and Nestle products because they use kidney cells from aborted human embryos to test flavorings that go into the foods they manufacture. We are pro-life based as the Biblical belief that life begins at conception and that all life is highly valued by God. So that belief has penetrated deeply into our everyday life; it has affected the way we shop.

Should I be more adamant about supporting companies that adhere to the same beliefs that I do? Perhaps. But I've really been more drawn to doing things myself. I don't buy Kraft macaroni and cheese anymore so I found a good recipe and make a better version from scratch. I stopped drinking Crystal Light then I actually 
read the ingredient list and found that two of its ingredients, aspartame and acesulfame potassium, are linked to a higher cancer risk. I've been drinking more water which as it happens is the healthiest drink for adults. It just seemed more logical to me to get closer to nature, closer to the source, to being whole, than to try to find a substitute for the brands I chose not to buy.

But back to the Chick-fil-a ordeal. So you're a supporter, huh? Does being pro- traditional marriage mean that you are anti-gay? Gay people are boycotting companies such as Chick-fil-a with what they are calling an anti-gay stance. Do you boycott companies who support gay marriage with the same passion in which you have stepped up to defend Chick-fil-a? Do you even know which companies are "pro-gay"?

Let me help you out. Do you have any GAP clothes in your closet? How's your favorite pair of Levi's fitting these days? Did you go running in your Nike's this morning? Had an Oreo lately? Have you Googled anything today? Checked your gmail account? Been to Target or Whole Foods? Starbucks? Do you have a Microsoft product installed on the computer you're on right now?

What are we really achieving "supporting" Chick-fil-a by sharing the logo over and over online while we still pour billions of dollars into all these other companies who then use that money to support ideas we don't agree with? Is that hypocritical? Are company boycotts pointless? I'm betting none of you could withdraw from the world enough to not somehow inadvertently support something that you disagree with. I don't think any of us have a very good answer for the problem but I think it makes a lot more sense to do what I did when I decided to stop buying Kraft, Pepsi, and Nestle stuff--refocus your efforts where they really count. Make things better for yourself not by tearing down others but perhaps by doing something good for your marriage. Get off your soap box and wrap your arms around your spouse. Make your husband a hand-breaded chicken sandwich on buns your baked yourself. ; ) Whatever works for you.

Now excuse me while I go focus on some truly important things---my home and family.

Comments

  1. :) Well said! :)
    While I may not agree with their lifestyle, I refuse to alienate and black-list the people because of their lifestyle. We, as Christians, are called to love our neighbors. We would have better luck witnessing to these people if we truly loved these people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just "these people" but all people...our living representation of love could not only be a witness to gay people or Muslim people or atheists but also to the young Christian mother standing behind us at the grocery store. I think we should live our lives in a way that reflects how we believe God wants us personally to live not how we think everyone else should live. Hopefully by doing that other people will see that special thing living inside of us and want to be a part of that, too. Being a part of hate just does not make sense to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

Combs Christmas Tour

Ryland says, "Welcome to our home!" Would you like to see all of our Christmas decorations? Check out our door decoration. We saw something like it at Trees and Trends and upon checking the price tag thought, "I could totally do that." = ) We think it looks great beside our sled, you know, just in case of snow! C'mon inside. Next to our door we plugged in a cute little tree that we got on our Thanksgiving trip to Alabama. It used to sit on our porch when we lived there. Now it hangs out next to our baker's rack where we have our one and only Nativity (I laughed to myself when Dr. Jackson said at church this Sunday that everyone has them all over the house.) We have more of a snowman collection around here. If you look in our kitchen you might notice our snowman rug. After you catch a load of our new Frosty fridge, that is! (Thank goodness for Pinterest!) There are reindeer prancing on our coffee table. Just past the co

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light