Skip to main content

15 Weeks---Thinking About Baby Names


Today I am 15 weeks pregnant! According to BabyCenter, the babies are each about 4 inches long (from head to rump). They can sense light through their still-fused eyelids and are peeing out the amniotic fluid they've been swallowing. Ah, they grow up so fast! = )

Their sex organs should be visible on an ultrasound. I'm still anxiously awaiting a call from Dr. Perret's nurse to schedule that all-important one. I can't wait! We are one of those families that finds out the genders before birth. I think it would be so much fun to wait and have a birth surprise but I just can't bring myself to do it. One of the main reasons I like to find out is to feel more connected to the babies before they are born. Then you can pick out special bedding and clothing and know their names. I just think it's a wonderful privilege. 

I'm most excited at the moment to choose baby names! Although Jackie likes to wait until we know the gender, I love perusing name books from the moment the lines pop up on the stick. I have a long list going already but Jackie has laughed at vetoed pretty much all of them. 

Some families (ahem, Duggars) choose names which all begin with the same letter. I think it's cute but personally, I mix up my kids' names so much that if they all started with the same letter, I'd be stuttering all the time. I read a blog post (cannot remember where! Raising Arrows?) a while back about their naming tradition. They have chosen Hebrew names with an "i" in them. I didn't actually realize that our kids' names had any sort of rhyme or reason to them until after I'd named Piper. For one, they all begin with a DIFFERENT letter and, for another, they all have one a different vowel as the second letter/first vowel AND they all have only two syllables. Would anyone in the world have noticed that besides me? Probably not. But now I have so I'm like, "We need an 'o' and a 'u'!" One that doesn't begin with a K, J, R, or P, of course. That narrows things down greatly! 

Another thing I've considered is that many twin names sort of match. According to the list of most popular twin names, most of them begin with the same letter. At first I was totally opposed to that. I didn't want them to be too matchy but it just so happens that two of the names that I love (one for a boy, one for a girl) begin with the same letter! So if I throw caution to the wind, I may end up with two children whose names begin with the same letter, one of which DOES NOT follow the vowel pattern. Gasp, I know! 

Thank goodness I have 25 (or so) more weeks to contemplate this massive decision.

What about you guys? Is there a connection between your children's names? Have you heard any great two syllable "o" or "u" names for me? = )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

I Turned Down a Large Sum of Money.

In Alaska there are lots of homeschooling options. The state has a statute which basically says that if you are a child’s parent or guardian you can educate them. The end. No other requirements, no tests, no reporting. You are their mama and in control (as it should be!) Along with having a private tutor or being a part of a religious private school, one option is to homeschool as a part of the public school system.  Because Alaska is so large and areas can be so remote, homeschooling used to be quite the neccessity. It meant schooling out of a box—correspondence school. Now things have changed and homeschoolers have an entire plethora of options. Here you can join a group (sort of extension of the public schools) and if you meet the requirements, you get money to support your students. A LOT of money. Around $2,000 a child.  I have only homeschooled in Louisiana and Alabama both of which give parents a good bit of freedom. I was nervous about joining a group in which I had to test and