Skip to main content

24 Days of Thankfulness: Day 20

For the record Keeleigh and I planned on going to church today but we got out-voted and ended up at the flea market instead. Would it be bad of me to say that I was glad to be there? I definitely miss seeing a lot of people from our Alabama church but it is nice to get to poke around at the flea market and find some treasures. I'm so thankful for my mom and dad, who have made their living at the flea market for 20+ years and who definitely spoiled me and their grandkids there today! I think Jathan's nana bought every toy he touched as well as some shoes and a bag of cotton candy. I got a couple of pair of name-brand pants for $2 (!) a piece, some make-up, some new perfume (Bloom by Reese Witherspoon smells like honeysuckle!), a cell phone case, and some delicious popcorn. Keeleigh also got some make-up, some super cute new shoes, a new ear ring, and a cell phone case. Ryland got some new toys and Piper got a hat and some hair bows. Keeleigh and I could have bought a WHOLE lot of good old junk but Mom restrained us. = ) Flea marketing is definitely one of my favorite hobbies and something we'll get to do even more of later this week--woo hoo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why We're Moving to ALASKA

8 years ago at around this time Jackie was graduating from seminary after 5 years of being in New Orleans. We were excited and full of hope. It felt like after years of preparation our lives were now going to REALLY begin!  The seminary had hosted a sort of ministry fair for students to meet with representatives from across the United States. Jackie talked to me about which state representatives he’d like to talk with as we planned our perfect life out in our heads (HA!). He mentioned Alaska which I quickly vetoed; we thought it would be lovely to live near the mountains somewhere out west—maybe Colorado? Montana? However, I went back and told him to talk to the Alaska guy if he wanted to because I didn’t think it was right that I should tell him no. I don’t remember all the states he inquired about that day. I remember him bringing home a memo pad that said West Virginia on it, and I remember him talking ALL ABOUT ALASKA.  Now when God speaks to me I unfortunately do not have a light

5 Reasons I Should Stay Off Facebook

1. TMI So, I remember the weirdest things but one brief conversation I had over 10 years ago stands out to me. It was high school and like all high school girls I had friends, enemies, and frienemies. One of my then-frienemies (we've grown up since then!) was friends with one of my enemies. Standing by the lockers one day, frienemy walks up and says in reference to enemy something like, "She shares too much information. Sometimes it's almost like, 'Hey, guys. I just farted.'" Of course, at the time I ate this up and laughed at her expense but over the years it's been a little reminder that more often than not I need to shut up. Just shut up. I've often been tempted (and have too often given in to the temptation) to over share. I think the Internet feels far safer than it really is. I need to remember that. 2. Friends...or Stalkers? Speaking of "friends", I have 321 of them. I know that number is much higher for many of you, but

I Turned Down a Large Sum of Money.

In Alaska there are lots of homeschooling options. The state has a statute which basically says that if you are a child’s parent or guardian you can educate them. The end. No other requirements, no tests, no reporting. You are their mama and in control (as it should be!) Along with having a private tutor or being a part of a religious private school, one option is to homeschool as a part of the public school system.  Because Alaska is so large and areas can be so remote, homeschooling used to be quite the neccessity. It meant schooling out of a box—correspondence school. Now things have changed and homeschoolers have an entire plethora of options. Here you can join a group (sort of extension of the public schools) and if you meet the requirements, you get money to support your students. A LOT of money. Around $2,000 a child.  I have only homeschooled in Louisiana and Alabama both of which give parents a good bit of freedom. I was nervous about joining a group in which I had to test and